Dental cleanings are not all the same. Knowing the difference between the different types will help you understand why Dr. James Evanko DMD decided to perform one over the other.
There are a few primary types of dental cleanings. These are:
1. Routine Cleanings for Children and Adults (Prophylaxis)
A routine cleaning (prophylaxis) is a cleaning the dentist performs to prevent dental issues like bone loss or gum disease. It’s recommended you have one done every six months, along with maintaining good oral hygiene to ensure your mouth and teeth stay healthy. During a prophylaxis treatment, the dentist will:
- Remove plaque (sticky film) that forms on your teeth
- Remove stains from your teeth
- Remove calculus (hardened plaque)
2. Deep Cleaning (Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing)
A deep cleaning, also called scaling and root planing, is generally only performed if you have developed gum disease or are at high risk of developing it. During this cleaning, the dentist removes the tartar buildup from the area between your teeth and gums as well as the roots of your teeth. You may require scaling and root planing treatment if:
- You have puffy, red gums.
- Your gums bleed after brushing or flossing your teeth.
- Your teeth are starting to become loose or are falling out.
- You have “pockets” between your gums and teeth that creates a home for bacteria.
- You have bad breath despite the effort you put in to keep your teeth and mouth clean.
With dental debridement, Dr. Evanko performs a debridement by thoroughly removing plaque buildup on your gums and teeth. While a debridement is typically a brief procedure, when they’re performed on teeth with large amounts of plaque buildup or are damaged, it might take longer than a routine dental cleaning to complete.
You may require a debridement if:
- You haven’t had a professional cleaning for over a year.
- You have thick plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth.
- Your buildup has formed below your gum line and not just above your gum line.
There are various benefits of knowing the different types of dental cleanings. Most importantly, this knowledge lets you know that your own personal oral hygiene, coupled with regular recommended professional dental cleanings, are the most powerful weapons against gum disease.
Schedule your dental cleaning appointment at Evanko Dental Group of Medina today.