The first thing anyone will likely notice about you is your smile. At the office of Dr. Jeff Evanko, DMD, our mission is to ensure everyone notices a fabulous smile on you. We’re proud to offer a welcoming, warm office environment for your orthodontic treatment. And, although traditional metal braces are highly effective at straightening your teeth and a popular form of treatment, there is an alternative treatment option that’s gained much popularity because of its many benefits — SureSmile.
What is SureSmile?
SureSmile is a set of clear aligners made from nearly invisible polyurethane plastic. Unlike metal braces that are either bonded or cemented to your teeth, SureSmile clear aligners are totally removable.
Therefore, you can remove them when you want to:
- Brush or floss your teeth
- During social occasions
- For picture taking
How is SureSmile Different from Braces?
In the past, your only choice to have your teeth straightened was with ceramic, metal or lingual braces. But, SureSmile clear aligners came around and many patients became excited about not having to deal with metal wires and brackets anymore. Even so, both of these treatment options are
effective at straightening your teeth and it really all comes down to personal preference. But, how is SureSmile different than braces?
The most obvious difference between the two is the appearance. With braces, Dr. Evanko attaches brackets to your teeth using a bonding material. He then adds archwire (thin, metal wire) from bracket to bracket. The wire helps gradually move your teeth into place by exerting light force.
With SureSmile treatment, Dr. Evanko uses a series of clear, computer-generated removable aligners that you wear which also gradually move your teeth into place. But, you receive a new set of aligners every couple of weeks.
SureSmile aligners are often considered more comfortable and smooth than braces and nearly invisible, which makes it likely others won’t even notice you wear them.
Is SureSmile Just for Adults?
You might believe the SureSmile system’s benefits are only ideal for adults requiring orthodontic care. This isn’t the case. While SureSmile isn’t really recommended for kids because their still developing and growing, SureSmile is a great option for responsible teens as well.
If you’re a parent thinking about choosing SureSmile for your teenager, you’ll want to sit down with them first to discuss how important it is they properly wear the aligners. SureSmile aligners for teens have small blue dots that over time, wear down and fade. Once they fade, it’s time for your teenager to put in a new aligner set.
Your teenager needs to be responsible enough to take the aligners out:
- For cleaning
- Before they eat
- Before they brush and floss their teeth
This will ensure there isn’t any plaque build-up or food residue on the aligners or your teenager’s teeth.
About the SureSmile Treatment Process
The SureSmile orthodontic treatment process is fairly similar to the process of other orthodontic treatments like braces, but with a few changes.
Here’s what you can ultimately expect:
- Your initial visit: During your first appointment, Dr. Evanko takes a look at your orthodontic needs by providing you with a comprehensive exam and providing you with your diagnosis. He’ll start the treatment process if he feels you’re a suitable candidate.
- Customizing your SureSmile treatment plan: Based on your diagnosis, he’ll create a 3D computer model of your bite and use it to tailor your treatment plan, breaking it into two-week segments.
- Manufacturing of your custom aligners: Then, Dr. Evanko will customize your own set of aligners, based on your individual treatment plan, and ensure they’re manufactured for the exact fit of your mouth. You’ll receive 12 or 48 pairs.
- Your treatment timeline: You’ll wear each aligner set for 22 hours each day, for two weeks and then switch to a new set. Each set is designed to move your teeth closer to the proper position. Once you’ve worn your last set of clear aligners, your treatment is finished and your teeth should be straight.
Benefits of SureSmile
There are many benefits of the SureSmile system, including:
- You can confidently wear them out in public since they’re nearly invisible.
- This treatment option requires fewer visits than that of traditional metal braces, thereby also reducing the number of orthodontist visits.
- You can see the results at each stage more easily than you would with traditional braces.
- The clear aligners are crafted with high-quality materials offering more controlled teeth movement and thereby better predictability.
- You can remove the aligners to eat so there are no restrictions on the types of food you can eat.
- There is no risk of injury with SureSmile aligners like there is with the sharp wires and brackets of metal braces.
- There are no brackets or wires to worry about, meaning you won’t have to spend more time cleaning the aligners.
- Cleaning the aligners is much easier than metal braces since you simply brush them and rinse them with water.
Contact the Office of Dr. Evanko for your SureSmile Consultation
Dr. Evanko offers both general and cosmetic dentistry services. Our team works hard at delivering
our patients the best experience and treatment plan while helping to ensure your teeth and mouth
stay healthy. Contact our office at 330-725-6182 or set up your appointment online for a
consultation with Dr. Evanko about SureSmile or any of our other services or treatments.