Sedation dentistry, such as that offered by Dr. Jeff Evanko, DMD, uses medicine to help you relax during a dental procedure. It’s sometimes called “sleep dentistry” and you’re typically awake, unless you’re under general anesthesia.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
From mild to full sedation treatment, there are a few types of sedation dentistry. These include:
- Inhaled sedation dentistry: With this option, you breathe in nitrous oxide (laughing gas). It’s a mild form of sedation that helps you relax, rather than put you to sleep. The nitrous oxide is mixed with oxygen, which you inhale through a mask that fits over your nose.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry is an effective and simple option to help you feel more relaxed. If you’re extremely nervous, anxious or tense before your dental visit, Dr. Evanko can help you relax with one of these sedation dentistry options. The medication’s effects last through the whole treatment.
Benefits of sedation dentistry are:
- Minimal discomfort during your treatment and after
- Easier to get numb
- Decreases and eliminates dental anxiety
- Custom dosage for your needs
- Helps you stay calm throughout your treatment
There’s always some risk when it comes to anesthesia, but it’s considered very safe when given by an experienced dentist, like Dr. Evanko. If you have questions or concerns, you can speak with one of our team members. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Evanko to discuss how sedation could help you.